IT Essentials: PC Hardware and Software (A+ Certification Preparation)
@ Honolulu Community College
IT Essentials presents an in-depth exposure to computer hardware and operating systems. You learn the functionality of hardware and software components as well as suggested best practices in maintenance and safety issues. Through hands-on activities and labs, you learn how to assemble and configure a computer, you will install the motherboard, optical media and hard drives, RAM, and CD-ROM. You will install operating systems and software, and troubleshoot hardware and software problems. This course helps prepare for CompTIA's A+ Certification.
This is a good hands-on beginning level course for someone wanting to enter the field of computer technology. Cisco sponsored curriculum is used for this program. The price includes a computer kit and small tool kit. At the end of the course, the CPU you build is yours to keep.
Course Competencies: At the end of this course, the student will be able to:
- Define information technology (IT) and describe the components of a personal computer
- Describe how to protect people, equipment, and the environment from accidents, damage, and contamination
- Perform a step-by-step assembly of a desktop computer
- Explain the purpose of preventive maintenance and identify the elements of the troubleshooting process
- Install and navigate an operating system
- Upgrade or replace components of a laptop based on customer needs
- Describe the features and characteristics of mobile devices
- Configure computers to connect to a network
- Install and share a printer
- Implement basic hardware and software security principles
- Apply good communication skills and professional behavior while working with customers
- Perform preventive maintenance and advanced troubleshooting
- Assess customer needs, analyze possible configurations, and provide recommendations for hardware, operating systems, networking, and security
Certificate of Professional Development
Cost of Program
1895.00 – "Do I have to pay this?"
About This Provider
Honolulu Community College
Offering training in City & County of Honolulu
— see all programs from this provider
Description of School
Two-year public college
Accreditation and/or Licensing Agency
Member of the American Association of Community Colleges and the Western Association of Schools and Colleges. Fully accredited since 1970 by Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges, Western Association of Schools and Colleges.
Financial Aid Options
Visit http://www2.honolulu.hawaii.edu/?q=node/15 for the latest information and instructions about financial aid.
This provider is accessible to people with disabilities.
This provider does offer job placement services to its students.
Janis Dela Cruz, Admissions Office
874 Dillingham Boulevard
Honolulu, HI 96817
ETP Approval Dates
Last Approved On: July 1, 2017
Valid Through: June 30, 2019